Nestled in the high desert of Northeastern California, Alturas is a small city with a big personality. From outdoor adventures to cultural experiences, there's something for everyone in this charming city. In this blog post, we'll highlight some of the top attractions and activities in Alturas, so you can plan your visit with ease.
Alturas is a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts, with plenty of opportunities for hiking, fishing, camping, and more. Here are some of the top outdoor adventures in the area:
- Modoc National Forest: This expansive national forest offers over a million acres of stunning natural beauty. Visitors can enjoy hiking, fishing, camping, and wildlife watching in this pristine wilderness area.
- Clear Lake National Wildlife Refuge: This wildlife refuge is home to over 100 species of birds, making it a popular spot for birdwatching. Visitors can also enjoy hiking and fishing in this scenic area.
- Alturas Wildlife Sanctuary: This small wildlife sanctuary is home to a variety of rescued animals, including deer, coyotes, and even a bobcat. Visitors can take a guided tour of the sanctuary and learn about the animals that call it home.
Alturas also offers a variety of cultural experiences for visitors to enjoy. Here are some of the top cultural attractions in the area:
- Modoc County Historical Museum: This museum offers a fascinating look at the history of Modoc County, with exhibits on Native American culture, mining, and the region's ranching heritage.
- Modoc War Historical Marker: This historical marker commemorates the Modoc War, a series of conflicts between the Modoc people and the United States Army that took place in the late 1800s. Visitors can learn about this important chapter in local history at the marker.
- Pioneer Cemetery: This historic cemetery is the final resting place of many early settlers of Modoc County. Visitors can pay their respects and learn about the pioneers who helped shape the region.
Festivals and Events
Finally, Alturas is home to a variety of festivals and events throughout the year. Here are a few that you won't want to miss:
- Modoc District Fair: Held in August, this annual fair features livestock shows, carnival rides, live music, and more.
- Fandango Days: This three-day event in July celebrates Alturas' Western heritage with a parade, cowboy poetry, and a chili cook-off.
- Modoc Ancestral Run: This annual event in May honors the Modoc people's traditional running culture with a 6.8-mile run through the Modoc National Forest.
Where to Eat
After a day of exploring Alturas' attractions and activities, you're sure to have worked up an appetite. Here are a few local eateries that you won't want to miss:
- The Brass Rail: This cozy pub offers classic American fare, as well as a variety of craft beers and cocktails.
- The Dutchman's Market: This local market offers a deli with sandwiches and salads, as well as a selection of locally made jams, jellies, and other goodies.
- Las Casitas Mexican Restaurant: This popular restaurant offers authentic Mexican cuisine, as well as margaritas and other cocktails.
Whether you're an outdoor enthusiast, a history buff, or a foodie, Alturas offers something for everyone. From hiking in Modoc National Forest to learning about local history at the Modoc County Historical Museum, this small city in Northeastern California is full of surprises. Be sure to also check out the local festivals and events, and indulge in some delicious food at one of Alturas' many eateries.